We're so pleased to announce the winners of our Scary Story Writing contest are Josie Duva and Giuliana Spanarelli! These amazing authors will be dining on pizza thanks to gift certificates donated by Puzo's Pizza and Il Panino! Check out the spooky stories they penned below!
Monday, October 28, 2013
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Finalists for the National Book Award have been announced! Check out the longlist for young people's literature below, or look at all the titles selected here!
2013 Longlist for Young People’s Literature:
Kathi Appelt, The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp
Kate DiCamillo, Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures
Lisa Graff, A Tangle of Knots
Alaya Dawn Johnson, The Summer Prince
Cynthia Kadohata, The Thing About Luck
David Levithan, Two Boys Kissing
Tom McNeal, Far Far Away
Meg Rosoff, Picture Me Gone
Anne Ursu, The Real Boy
Gene Luen Yang, Boxers & Saints
More information about these books and their authors here.
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
We've got some great things happening at the library this Halloween!
|Photo taken from Mad Science Website: http://www.madscience.org/|
- Join us this Saturday, October 26th at 11:00 am for a performance by Mad Science! They'll be performing their Spooky Spectacular featuring melting witches and bubbling potions. Children ages 5-12 are invited to come in costume! Registration is required, so call today to reserve your spot!
- Science not your thing? Our Scary Story Writing Contest wraps up this Friday, October 25th at 7:00. We want to see your silliest or scariest stories! Two winners will receive gift cards for pizza!
- We'll be having a special Halloween storytime for our preschool aged friends on Monday, October 28th at 10:30 am. We'll be sharing (not too) spooky stories and creating a pumpkin craft! No registration is required, just drop in.
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Teen Read Week begins October 13th but we will kick off October 12th. The the librarians at the Fairfield Library are tickled with the events we have in line for you! You may ask yourself, "What is teen read week for? Teens already know how to read..." Yes they do but we make it more fun! The purpose is to encourage teens to be regular readers and library users. The theme for this year is Seek the Unknown @ Your Library, which encourages teens to explore and learn about the unknown through mystery, adventure, sci-fi and fantasy books.
We love the unknown, mysteries and of course adventure so came up with these fun events to challenge yourself to win some prizes at the library.
1. Goody bag raffle. This is the easiest to enter. Barnes and Noble supplied us with an awesome tote to commemorate the Hobbit. It is stuffed with goodies like a gift card, mug, candy, a best selling book and more! We won't tell you everything it has because it would ruin the suspense. The winner will be notified October 19th.
Rules for the raffle:
1. You must be a teen from Fairfield (grades 6-12)
2. Enter the raffle with your library card number
3. Tell us what type of program would love to have at the library.
4. Cross your fingers and hope to win!
|"I'm full of free goodies."|
2. Blind Date with a book (and one golden ticket). We have the Teens' Top Twenty books of the year that have been voted in by teens like you. A golden ticket came into the library and decided to have a nap in one of them. We wrapped all of the books and they can be checked out. You will love them. The winner of the book with the golden ticket will win some awesome prizes.
3. Scavenger Hunt at the Library: Come to the library and pick up a scavenger hunt worksheet at the circulation desk. Participants are free to hunt the library for answers to a set of questions and clues. One lucky person will win a gift card found in one of the clues. Everyone who participates in the hunt will receive a prize.
Friday, October 4, 2013
We have some amazing crafts lined up for this month and there really is something for everyone!
Crafty Tots, for ages 2-4, will be creating a "thumb-kin" patch. This craft is being held on Friday, October 25 at 11:00 am. Register now!
|Crafty Tots, Thumb-kin patch!|
We will be designing our own bags for storing all our Halloween candy at this month's Crafty Kids. Crafty Kids is for grades K-3 and will be meeting on Thursday, October 24 at 6:00 pm. Register now!
Stop by for Crafternoon, our afternoon of crafting for grades 4+, on Thursday, October 24 at 4:00 where we will be making skeletal stamps. Register now!
We always make a craft at our Pre-K Storytime, which meets every Monday morning at 10:30 am! No need to register, just drop in!
Adults won't be left out of the mix, either! Join us on October 23 at 1:00 pm to create an ornament for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. All the ornaments we create will be donated to the St. Barnabas Breast Cancer Center. Register now!
|Adult Craft for Breast Cancer Awareness Month|